Chicken pot pie is the ultimate winter warmer, and by making chicken soup first, you can get two meals with half the work. Cook and lifestyle expert Chef LaLa shares her spicy recipes that are also light and tasty.
Chicken soup recipe
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces, bone in, skin removed
- 7 cups water
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 4 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano
- 6 carrots, cut into large pieces, do not peel
- 1.5 pound red potatoes, cut into large pieces, do not peel
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot place whole cut-up chicken in water. Add onion, chicken bouillon, celery and oregano. Cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes, and then simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Adjust salt as needed.
Chicken pot pie recipe
- Pre-made filo dough (in the freezer section of the supermarket)
- Olive oil
- Salt and cracked pepper
- ¼ brown onion, medium diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces stewed tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1-2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup of vegetables from chicken soup
- Carrots, diced
- Potatoes, diced
- Celery, diced
- 1 cup of chicken, shredded, from chicken soup
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Cut filo dough into pieces the size of your pot pie individual pans. Lightly brush every other sheet with olive oil. Sprinkle top sheet with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 teaspoon of oil, onion and garlic and cook until tender and clear. Add tomatoes, peas and jalapenos, and simmer. Meanwhile, combine 1 tablespoon water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Slowly add to saucepan. Add 1 cup of vegetables, 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 cup of shredded chicken left over from chicken soup. Stir to combine. Then simmer for 15 minutes covered.
- Spoon into single-serving pot pie dishes. Top with crispy filo dough.